Friday, November 5, 2010

NERD ALERT!


So I'm setting myself a personal NERD goal. 


I want to read ALL of the Oprah's Book Club books.  Who knew after I looked it up that its over 10 YEARS WORTH OF BOOKS.  I can do it. I know I can.  I will get my inner nerd to do her best.  I will be buying myself a Kindle or the equivalent for Christmas (HINT HINT if you want to buy me something I could use some Amazon gift cards to purchase the Kindle or my books - just sayin...)

So I've downloaded the list and looks like my inner nerd has already done me some good - the books in red I've already read!




Pondering question:  Do you have a Kindle or an E-Reader of some sort?  Can you tell me the positives and negatives so I can decide if/which brand to get? Leave me your responses in the comments section.
2010Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

2009
Say You're One of Them by Uwem Akpan

2008
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David WroblewskiA New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

2007
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettLove in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García MárquezMiddlesex by Jeffrey EugenidesThe Road by Cormac McCarthyThe Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier

2006
Night by Elie Wiesel

2005
A Million Little Pieces by James Frey - GREAT read - even though the author was a huge LIAR that its all true.Light in August by William FaulknerThe Sound and the Fury by William FaulknerAs I Lay Dying by William Faulkner

2004
The Good Earth by Pearl S. BuckAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyThe Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullersOne Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

2003
Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan PatonEast of Eden by John Steinbeck


2002
Sula by Toni MorrisonFall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald

2001
A Fine Balance by Rohinton MistryThe Corrections by Jonathan FranzenCane River by Lalita TademyStolen Lives: Twenty Years in a Desert Jail by Malika OufkirIcy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman RubioWe Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

2000
House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus IIIDrowning Ruth by Christina SchwarzOpen House by Elizabeth BergThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverWhile I Was Gone by Sue MillerThe Bluest Eye by Toni MorrisonBack Roads by Tawni O'Dell - AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME story. I think I read it while we drove somewhere on vacation a few years ago. Daughter of Fortune by Isabel AllendeGap Creek by Robert Morgan
1999A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton Vinegar Hill by A. Manette Ansay River, Cross My Heart by Breena Clarke CURRENTLY READING THIS ONE.Tara Road by Maeve BinchyMother of Pearl by Melinda HaynesWhite Oleander by Janet Fitch - Great Story -the movie has nothing on it.  Skips way too much. The Pilot's Wife by Anita ShreveThe Reader by Bernhard SchlinkJewel by Bret Lott

1998
Where the Heart Is by Billie LettsMidwives by Chris BohjalianWhat Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl CleageI Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb This book is HUGE but awesome; not boring at all. Breath, Eyes, Memory by Edwidge DanticatBlack and Blue by Anna Quindlen - Great story about a battered wife - sad-but a great read. Here on Earth by Alice HoffmanParadise by Toni Morrison

1997
The Best Way to Play by Bill CosbyThe Treasure Hunt by Bill CosbyThe Meanest Thing to Say by Bill CosbyA Virtuous Woman by Kaye GibbonsEllen Foster by Kaye GibbonsA Lesson Before Dying by Ernest J. GainesSongs in Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry MorrisThe Heart of a Woman by Maya AngelouThe Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi - She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb - This is THE BOOK that will make me read all Wally Lamb books.  AWESOME.
1996
The Book of Ruth by Jane HamiltonSong of Solomon by Toni MorrisonThe Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard




No comments: